Nanci Hibschman is a Managing Principal with C3 Nonprofit Consulting Group. With 25 years in the field, Nanci exclusively advises on compensation and performance strategies to private and community foundations, service and charitable entities, policy, advocacy and research organizations, higher education, and independent schools, associations, and other not-for-profit groups.
Nanci’s experience includes:
- Helping boards and management leaders develop compensation philosophies and programs for executives and staff, including salary, bonus/incentive and benefits programs that support the strategic objectives of the organizations and advance the success of their missions.
- Performing staff cash compensation and benefits studies, including salary structure development, pay equity analysis, job titling/leveling review and change implementation, all aimed at attracting and retaining high-quality, mission-driven talent.
- Translating market intelligence and trends to educate boards, committees and management on talent practices in the not-for-profit sector.
- Developing performance metrics and incentives to recruit and reward top fundraising and investment talent.
- Preparing formal opinion letters regarding the reasonableness of compensation provided to disqualified persons of 501(c)(3) organizations in support of federal and state regulations.
- Partnering with boards to enhance the effectiveness of group dynamics and assist with governance duties, such as self-assessments, board succession planning, compensation evaluation and oversight.
As an author and subject matter expert on the topic of compensation best practices for tax-exempt organizations, Nanci is an annual organizer and speaker for the Foundation HR Alliance and at various tax law and other conferences across the country, including Georgetown University Law School’s Representing and Managing Tax-Exempt Organizations conference in Washington, D.C., and Foundation Financial Officers Group (FFOG) annual convening.
Nanci serves on the board of Girls on the Run Bay Area in San Francisco (Governance Committee Chair) and on the Board of The Night Ministry in Chicago (Compensation Committee advisory member). She also volunteers weekly at the Humane Society in Marin County, California. In support of the local ecosystem, Nanci is also an avid beekeeper.
Prior to joining C3 Nonprofit Consulting Group, she was a partner at a global human resources consulting firm, leading the tax-exempt organization practice.
Nanci earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of San Diego and a Master of Arts in psychology from Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.